HP Printer Setup Guide For Windows
Want to set up an HP printer on your computer, but don’t know how to install it? Well, there are three different methods by using which you can easily install the printer on your windows computer.
Method 1: USB connection to the computer
- You can use the USB cable to connect the printer to the computer.
Method 2: Wi-Fi connection to the computer
If you are using a printer that supports Wi-Fi, then connect the printer to the laptop using wi-fi.
- Turn on the router, computer, and printer.
- Connect the printer and the computer to the same network.
- From the Control panel of your printer, go to ‘Network and wireless menu’.
Method 3: Wired connection to the computer
Use the Ethernet cable to connect the computer to the router and the HP printer. You will find the Ethernet port at the back of your printer, where you can easily connect the cable.
Install the printer driver for HP printer
Insert the driver CD into the disk drive and click on ‘.exe’ file to install drivers for your printer. If you don’t have the CD, you can contact the experts to get that installed on your computer.
Downloading the wrong drivers may end up with nothing. You don’t need to check the version of windows installed on your computer. It will get checked from the expert's end.
- Download and install Driver.
- Run the Driver easy and Scan Now. If there is any problem detected, the driver easy will let you know.
- Tap ‘Update’.
- If prompted click on ‘Update all’.
Try printing the paper
You can now check whether your HP printer works or not by clicking the ‘windows +R’ key. The dialog window will open from where you have to go to ‘Devices and printers’ to see your printer. Right-click on it to open ‘Properties’.
HP printer offline
While attempting to print any document, a pop-up message displays and says ‘Printer is offline’. If you ever come across this error, then you must have tried to troubleshoot it on your own which no doubt can be fixed but requires concentration and proper knowledge. The simple instructions will help you get the printer back to online mode.
What does ‘My printer is offline’ mean?
Getting this error on the screen can be quite frustrating, but this doesn’t mean your printer will no longer work. The offline printer means it is not able to communicate with the client devices.
If the HP printer is offline, then the printing jobs will not continue and pause in the middle until you find any reliable solution. It is recommended not to give further printing requests until the problem gets resolved. Save your work before troubleshooting the issue.
Some of the reasons for getting this error include:
- Outdated drivers
- Settings error.
- Connection issues.
To all these problems, there is a different solution. Let’s go through the guide and find out the best possible solution.
How to change the printer from offline to online mode?
The simple and easy steps for printer offline fix are discussed here as under:
Run HP print and scan app
- You can use the HP print and scan app to solve the errors. You can download the latest version of the app online from the web browser.
- Open the app and click to select the HPPSdr.exe. Run it as an administrator.
- Click ‘Yes’ to proceed further.
- Select ‘Start’ to select the printer.
- The app will search and find out the best solution for your printer.
- Continue with prompts and press ‘Yes’ to continue.
If the problem gets resolved, then it Ok, otherwise, you can go through the next troubleshooting steps.
Set the default printer
You need to select your HP printer as a default printer from the preferences. Follow the below-mentioned steps to fix windows 10 printer offline issue.
Windows 10 users:
- Go to the search option and click on ‘Devices’.
- Select ‘Printer and scanners’.
- Click on the box which says ‘Let windows manage default printer’.
- Select the printer from the list.
- Go to ‘Manage’ and set printers as ‘Default’.
This is how you can get rid of Printer offline windows 10 OS.
‘HP printer is offline’ fix for windows 8 users
Select the printer from the list of devices and set the printer as a default printer. Try printing the document now.
If you are still facing the same error, then
Check the printer port and windows service status
- To check the WSD port on the printer, go to the control panel from the computer and view ‘Printer and devices’.
- Go to ‘Printer properties’.
- Select ‘Ports’ and see if there is a WSD port showing up on the screen or not.
- Check status and startup type columns.
- Right-click on the name of the printer and select ‘Properties’.
- Change the startup to automatic.
- Press ‘Start’ and ‘Ok’.
- Check printer name and status. If the printer says offline yet, then check the wireless settings of your printer and change them.
- Change the ‘TCP/IP’ port option and click ‘New’.
- Using the network configuration, add a new port.
- Check the printer status now.
If the HP printer is offline even after implementing the above-mentioned steps, then check the connection between the computer and the printer.
What Is PCL XL Error & How To Fix It?
This error most appears on HP laserjet printers at the time of printing. When there are multiple documents lined up for printing, then it leads to PCL XL error. The occurrence of this error means a problem with the printer’s driver or some sort of error in the printing settings.
Fixing PCL XL Error:
Rename the files related to printer
- Open ‘File Explorer’ on your computer.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3.
- Once opened, segregate the files according to extensions and find files with .gpd extension.
- Choose .gpd files and rename all the files with this extension. But make sure to take a backup of everything first.
- Save changes after renaming the files and restart your PC.
Update the printer driver
There are two methods of updating the printer, automatic and manually. Get in touch with experts to know more about how to update the printer’s drivers.
Change printing settings
- On your computer, launch ‘Control Panel’ and locating ‘Devices & Printers’.
- Right-click on the printing experiencing ‘PCL XL’ error and then, select ‘printing preferences’.
- Click the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Change ‘Truetype’ font to ‘Download as Softfont’ and set ‘Send True Type as Bitmap’ to enabled.
- Once done, click ‘Apply’ and then, ‘OK’.
- Restart your computer as well as the printer.
If you are using Wi-Fi to make connections between the printer and the computer, then follow the below-mentioned tips.
- Restart your printer by turning it off and wait for 10 seconds.
- Turn off the computer and wait for 10 seconds.
- Connect the printer to the power supply and turn it on.
- Connect the computer to the power supply and restart it.
- Using the HP wireless wizard to connect the printer to the network.
- Check the printer report and see if the HP printer offline fix worked or not. If the issue is still not resolved, you need to contact the router service provider.
Try printing from a different device
You can try printing the same document by connecting the HP printer to different devices like laptops or mobile phones. This will certainly resolve the offline printing error. If you get success, then it means the problem is certainly within the client device but not with the printer.
Get your printer back to online mode quickly
Want a quick solution to ‘Why my printer is offline’? Almost every printer experience issues once in a while. It can be due to several reasons like printer not connected successfully to the Wi-Fi or the Ethernet cable is faulty. Check the version of printer drivers and update them if required.
If you ever come across any issue with your HP printer, then there is nothing to worry about, just follow the steps mentioned above. You will hopefully get the printer back to its normal operation.