The HP Photosmart A617 offers the convenience of a portable photo printer, using a removable, rechargeable battery to power the printer when it is away from electrical outlets. Problems with your printer’s hardware will keep you from enjoying the full use of the A617, but you can resolve the situation to determine the cause and come up with a resolution. For problems that you are unable to resolve on your own, seek help from a trained technician.
- Wait for the printer to finish initializing if the “Power” light is flashing and you have pressed the “Power” button within the last five minutes. If the “Power” light is flashing and you have not activated the printer, the light is flashing because the battery is being charged.
- Look at the printer screen for error messages if the “attention” flashes red, and check the screen on the attached camera if one is connected to the computer. Press the “Power” button to turn the printer off, if you do not see error messages on the printer or the camera screen.
- Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer, if it is connected in. Open the battery compartment door and slide the battery, then reinstall the battery after ten seconds or more have passed. Press the “Power” button to turn the printer on again. Seek assistance from a service technician if the “Attention” light still flashes red.
- Wait a minute or more, and do not touch the printer, if the buttons on the control panel do not respond at all, seeing if the printer detects the error and resets itself. Press the “Power” button, if the problem persists, disconnect the power cord from the printer, open the battery compartment cover and remove the battery from the printer. Slide the battery into the printer and plug the power cord back in after ten seconds have passed.
- Remove a digital image card from the printer, if the printer is unable to detect the photos on the card. Insert the card into a computer’s card reader slot and move the photo files to the computer, then connect the computer to the A617 via a USB cable to print the photos.
- Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer, if the printer does not turn on. If the printer’s battery is not installed, wait ten seconds and reconnect the power cord to the printer and then press the “Power” button. If the battery is installed in the printer, open the battery compartment cover and remove the battery, wait ten seconds, then reinstall the battery and connect the power cord again before pressing the “Power” button. Move the printer’s power cord to a different outlet, you know it’s working if the printer still doesn’t turn on.
- Remove the battery from the printer, wait ten seconds, and reinstall it if the battery will not charge. Check the connection of the power cord to the printer and the electrical outlet. Press the “Power” button to turn on the printer, then check to see if the lightning bolt on which the printer is flashing, indicating that the battery is being charged. Turn off the printer and leave the power cord on for four hours, leaving the battery charge fully. Replace the battery if it still does not charge.