Canon Printers hold a great reputation in the market for their eye-arresting design and seamless performance, but since a Canon printer is an electronic device with a boatload of complex parts, problems are always around the corner. Canon printer just like any other hardware has bugs and issues, especially when it interacts with different systems. One of the common issues that results in “Printer says Offline’ status despite being connected properly. The basic troubleshooting of this issue is to check all the electrical outlets, whether those are properly connected or not. Along with that, check if the printer is connected to the network or not.
Reconnect your printer to Wi-Fi
Before you proceed to other workarounds, you must reconnect your device to a Wi-Fi router. Go to the settings of your printer to ‘Forget’ the router, just in case, it is present on the list, yet prohibiting your printer to connect to the network. Reconnect to the router again. The steps to connect the printer to the Wi-Fi network will be somewhat the same regardless of the difference in the models.
- Press and hold the ‘Wi-Fi’ button on the printer until the Wi-Fi light starts to blink.
- As the LED starts to blink blue, press the ‘WPS’ button on the router.
- The Wi-Fi light will continue to blink because the router is searching for the available networks. The blinking of the LED light will continue until the printer connects to the access points. As the device connects, the Wi-Fi light on it is going to light up.
Restarting Print Spooler Service
Printing documents on a printer won’t be possible without spooler service. Usually, it is visible to users and it is possible to cancel printer jobs lined up in the queue. The service also allows users to manage print jobs present in the queue. To fix the ‘Printer is Offline’ error on the printer, try to restart the spooler service followed by verifying if the issue is fixed or not.
- Press ‘Windows + R’ keys simultaneously.
- ‘Run’ dialog box will appear on the screen, so you need to enter ‘services.msc’ and hit ‘Enter’.
- You will see a list of Windows services, so click on any service and keep pressing ‘P’ until you find ‘Print Spooler’ on the screen.
- Once found, right-click on ‘Print Spooler’ followed by choosing ‘Properties’ from the pop-up menu.
- Go to the ‘General’ tab followed by clicking the ‘Stop’ button under ‘Service’ status. Once done, click ‘OK’ to save changes.
- With the service getting temporarily disabled, you need to delete printer files. To do so, launch ‘Windows Explorer’ and go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS. You may require permission to access the ‘PRINTERS’ if the OS prompts you. If it does, then click ‘Continue’.
- As you get inside the folder, select all the files, and delete them. Close the windows afterward.
- Return to the ‘General’ tab followed by starting spooler service. Make sure to change the ‘Spooler’s Startup Type’ as automatic.
- It’s time to reboot your computer followed by checking if the printer connects properly or not.
How to disable ‘my Printer is offline’ with the ‘Settings’ app?
It is possible to fix the issue by disabling the Windows to work with the printer when it is in offline mode. Doing this will ensure that the printer only works with the computer when it is properly connected. If the new settings fail to bring any changes, then you can easily return to the previous settings.
- Click the ‘Start’ button followed by opening the ‘Control Panel’.
- From the Control Panel, select ‘Hardware and Sound’.
- In the subsequent window, find and open ‘Devices & Printers’ option.
- Find your printer name on the list. Once found, right-click on it and then select ‘See what’s printing’.
- Click ‘Printer’ at the top left corner of the screen along with making sure that the ‘Use Printer Offline Windows 10’ option in the drop-down menu is unchecked. After that, click ‘Cancel all documents’ and then, try to reconnect your printer.
Update Drivers Of Canon Printer
If none of the solutions work for you, then there could be issues with the printer drivers. So, you will have to uninstall the current drivers and reinstall them manually. Get in touch with experts to find out the most suitable drivers for your Canon printers. Keep in mind that only the right drivers will ensure the proper functioning of the printer.
- On your computer, press the ‘Windows + R’ key to launch ‘Run’ dialog box. Then, enter ‘MSC’ in the box and hit ‘Enter’.
- Go through the list of hardware present in the ‘Device Manager’. You will have to open ‘Print queues sub-menu’ after which, you need to right-click on the printer hardware followed by selecting ‘Update driver’, which you can do from the pop-up menu.
- A question will appear on your screen, which says, “How do you want to search for drivers?” To answer this question, choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and click ‘Proceed’.
- Choose the downloaded driver with browse option as it pops up and then, try to update the driver.
- Finally, restart your computer and check if the problem is resolved or not.
Note: In case you are not able to update any of the printer’s drivers manually, then you will have to choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. As you select this option, Windows begin looking for the driver on the internet and select the best available driver for your printer.
Uncheck “SNMP Status Enabled”
The process of network management can’t be done without the use of SNMP, which stands for ‘Simple Network Management Protocol’. With this protocol, the information from the printers is collected and managed accordingly. You can disable this setting to see if that ‘printer says offline’ problem gets resolved or not.
- In the system tray on your computer, locate your printer icon. Once found, right-click on it followed by choosing ‘Properties’.
- Click on ‘Ports’ followed by ‘Configure Port’.
- Uncheck the box corresponding to ‘SNMP Status’. Then, press the ‘OK’ button for applying the change and finally, close the window.
With this printer offline fix, you need to check if the issue is resolved or not. It will most likely be fixed, but in case, it doesn’t, then you will have to consult Canon printer experts to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it in the most suitable way.