Brother Printers are known for manufacturing the most affordable and reliable printing machines. The company has been building printers for both individual users and large companies, catering to the needs of everyone. Despite being such a trustworthy brand, the printers of this company often come across inexplicable problems, which halt their overall functioning.
One of these problems is that your printer is constantly disconnecting. Even if you configure everything correctly, this problem can occur for several reasons. Fortunately, there are solutions available to help you get rid of ‘Brother Printer offline printing’
Reasons Why Brother Printer offline Status
It is very annoying to see the printer getting into offline mode when trying to print something from it. It becomes even more frustrating when you have to print important documents suddenly, but couldn’t do so due to a faulty printer.
A printer in offline mode will bar you from printing anything unless you understand why it happened and how to fix it. Find out the common reasons as to why Brother printer disconnects along with finding the solutions to your query, i.e., ‘my printer is offline’ issue in the most efficient way.
1. Dynamic IP address
When using a network printer, the change of IP address can pose a major problem. This particular problem arises when the printer makes use of the default port settings. If the printer is working with the dynamic IP address instead of a static one, then the problem will continue to exist.
Here is what you can try as Brother Printer Offline fix:
- On your computer, click the ‘Windows’ logo in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Find "Control Panel" on the list. Once located, open the control panel.
- Go to "Devices and Printers".
- You will see the icon for your printer, so just right-click on it.
- From the ‘Menu’, select "Printer Properties". There is an option labeled as “Properties” given at the bottom of the menu, which you should prevent from clicking.
- Click on the "Ports" tab.
- You are going to see one of the ports checked. You need to check if the printer is currently using "standard TCP/IP port".
- If not, then you need to select this port. If it is already selected, then make sure not to uncheck it.
- Now click on the "Configure Port" button.
- You will see two fields by the name of "Port Name" and "Printer name or IP address" where you will have to type in IP address used by your computer on this network.
- Keep in mind to uncheck the ‘SNMP status enabled’ option before saving the settings. This option can cause issues in Brother Printers, so it is better to keep it unchecked.
- After following all the steps, click the “OK” button for confirming the changes.
If you don't know how to verify your IP address, here is what you can do:
- On your computer, press the “Windows” button followed by entering “Network”.
- From the list of results, choose "View your network properties".
- As you do so, you will see the current network properties.
- The "IPv4 Address" entry indicates your IP address, which can be used for your printer.
If the problem was caused due to a dynamic IP address, then you should follow the aforementioned steps to fix the problem of Printer offline Windows 10.
2. Brother Printer offline in Windows 10
There is a "Use printer offline" feature in Microsoft Windows 10, which might have put your printer in offline mode. With this feature, you can prepare your important documents for printing, irrespective of your printer state, whether it is available or not. While this feature may sound useful, it is not. It may cause several problems in the printer, therefore, you must fix Brother Printer offline Windows 10 by following the steps below:
Here is how you can fix Brother Printer Windows 10:
- On your computer, you need to go to the "Devices and Printers" menu.
- Right-click the icon for your printer.
- Click on "See what prints".
- From the top menu, select the "Printer" tab.
- Uncheck the option labeled as "Use printer offline".
This should put your printer back online, but in case, it doesn’t, then you should take the help of experts.
3. Antivirus and firewall
There is no denying that antivirus and firewall offer unparalleled security to your computer, but at the same time, it could threaten the communication between your computer and printer. Your antivirus and firewall can block the communication instead of risking the security of your computer. To ensure that the antivirus and firewall don’t create any issue, you must disable them. If your printer still says offline after that, it's almost certainly something else.
4. Driver issues
Faulty printer drivers are another reason for the printer to go into offline mode. The problem usually appears when the operating system gets a new update. On most occasions, the update seems to work fine with the specific driver, but at times, things can go south and create problems. However, the driver starts creating a problem of its own due to a faulty code, which in turn prevents you from using the printer.
You need to install the new driver for your Brother Printer, but before you do that, make sure to uninstall the drivers you are using at the moment. For that, follow these steps:
- On your Windows 10 computer, right-click on the “Windows” icon and select “Device Manager”.
- Click the “+” icon corresponding to "Imaging Devices" to expand this section.
- Right-click on your printer’s name.
- Click on "Uninstall the device".
- When prompted, also make sure to remove the current drivers.
Once you are done with the steps, get in touch with experts to know the instructions on how to install the new drivers.
Keep your printer online
One of the aforementioned procedures must have solved your problem with the Brother printer offline. If none of the solutions work for you, then you must get in touch with experts for quick and reliable assistance.