A printer can go to an offline state due to several reasons. The reasons may vary depending on the operating system installed on the computer. The reasons for a printer to go offline in Windows computers are different from the reasons for a printer to go offline on a Mac. Even different manufacturers also have their peculiarities. Sometimes the printer is suddenly offline. While the printer is properly connected, it is displayed offline: this is a common problem, even for experienced users. This problem can however be resolved in a few steps. Once the problem is resolved, you can continue to use the printer.
If your printer stops printing, do not despair, you can solve the problem quickly and easily using the various instructions. If a network printer for example is still displayed offline because the network is down and the printer is no longer recognized, you can find help here. You will also find help in case of Wi-Fi problems with the printer, or if the printer is displayed offline while it is switched on. You can quickly continue to use your laser, inkjet, photo printer, or even your multifunction device.
How to fix if your printer says offline?
Check out the solutions in case your printer is displayed offline for an extended period. The following steps will help you get your printer status from offline to online are just benchmarks for the different printers available on the market. It doesn’t matter which printer brand you use, be it HP, Epson, Brother, Canon, or any other brand, the problem of ‘printer is online’ can occur. The solution to the problem is often very simple. In case of difficulty, contact experts for quick and reliable solutions.
Offline printer (USB connection)
If your printer is connected by USB to your computer and is displayed offline, please check the following:
- Check if your printer is switched on and correctly connected. Errors in the USB device driver are indicated by a yellow symbol at the bottom right of the taskbar. Try plugging the printer into another USB port on your computer.
- If your printer or MFP switched to power saving mode during operation, this may also explain why the printer is displayed offline. In this case, restart the printer and connect it to the computer again.
- If your printer is not authorized by Windows settings, you can simply open the Windows control panel, click on “Show devices and printers” and then right-click on your printer to display a status window. There you will find the menu item “Printer properties”. Now check the “Allow” box in the “Security” tab. The printer is no longer displayed offline.
- Sometimes it may be useful to reinstall the printer driver and then re-register the printer with the driver installed in the system. To do this, simply follow the installation instructions in the printer manual. Check if a new, updated version of the driver is available from your printer manufacturer’s page.
If these points do not help you solve the problem, please contact printer support and get the right solution.
Wireless Printer Offline Fix
Network problems are the most common cause of offline display of a wireless printer. In addition to the general troubleshooting mentioned above, here are some helpful tips for reusing your wireless printer and changing the printer status by “Online”:
- Make sure your printer is on and check the Wi-Fi indicator on your router. Your printer can only be displayed online if your router is turned on and Wi-Fi is correctly activated. The printer must be on the same Wi-Fi network as your computer.
- Re-enter your router’s password and IP address on the printer or in the software. Follow the instructions in your manual to properly register the printer on the Wi-Fi network. Your printer can only be registered with the correct password and IP address. It will then appear online.
- Check if an error code is possibly displayed on the screen of your device. If there are problems with the printer accessories (toners, drum unit, printer cartridges), some printers are displayed offline. Please contact the support of your printer manufacturer and mention the error code.
- Check that there is enough paper loaded in the printer and that there is no paper jam.
- View your devices and printers in the printer software or Windows Control Panel and exclude general error messages. Many printers also offer an internal control routine, providing detailed error messages.
- Check if you have enabled Wi-Fi on the computer.
The firewall blocks the printer
Another potential problem that can cause the printer to go “offline” is computer security software. This software sees the printer as a threat and blocks it to protect the network. Depending on the security software, several types of protection can be installed to keep order on the computer. For example an antivirus, antispyware, parental control, and of course a very famous firewall. One of the biggest problems is the firewall. It is designed to block threats from outside the network.
The firewall may be preventing the connection between the printer and the network, so you cannot use your network printer. In addition to the firewall in your security software, your operating system also has its firewall that performs the same function. In both cases, you must be careful so that your printer does not appear offline.
What problems can using a firewall cause?
- After installing the printer driver, you cannot find the printer on the network.
- Printing is suddenly impossible.
- The printer is displayed offline in your “Printer” folder or the “printer” application on a Mac.
- The printer software displays “Connection does not exist” while you have connected the printer to the network.
- With multifunction devices, some functions may be usable while others will not work.
How to determine if the firewall is the cause of the problem?
The quickest and easiest way to determine if your firewall is causing the problem is to briefly disable the firewall. To do this, open the Start menu, go to “Control Panel” and click on “Windows Firewall”. In the “Activate or deactivate Windows Firewall” tab, check the “Disable Windows Firewall” box. Then check if your printer is online and usable. If not, re-enable the firewall.
Basic troubleshooting if there is a problem with the firewall
The following procedures are intended to resolve problems with common firewalls. If you have a specific question, please continue with advanced troubleshooting to fix various printer settings.
- Be sure to keep your security software up to date. In general, firewalls and similar tools update automatically without you having to intervene. If not, update your software.
- If your firewall has different security settings such as low, medium, and high, choose “medium” if you have connected your computer to the network.
- Many firewalls have the “trusted zone” setting. You can use this setting when you connect the printer to the computer.
- In some cases, the firewall does not display warnings, which are often important when installing a printer. In the firewall settings, activate the warnings and then connect your printer to your modem. If a warning prompting you to choose between “allow” or “unlock” appears, allow the entire process. If the option “Remember” or “Create a rule for this warning” appears, use it. This will prevent future warnings and the printer will be automatically authorized.
- Make sure your computer does not have multiple firewalls. These can come from the operating system or other security software manufacturers. If multiple firewalls are installed on your computer, this does not increase the security of your device but on the contrary, often causes problems. Therefore, deactivate the desired firewall(s) by clicking on it.
Advanced troubleshooting for ‘My Printer is offline’ issue
If the steps described above have not worked, you have other options. Your printer has an IP address assigned by your modem. The printer’s IP address may change each time you turn it on or off. This can cause errors that the firewall cannot process. The printer is often not recognized by the network, which is why you must assign an IP address to your printer. To do this, follow these steps:
- Print the network configuration page as well as the test area for the wireless network through the menu of your printer and note the IP address.
- Compare the printer’s address with the IP address of the gateway. Both addresses must have the same format.
- Enter the IP address of your printer in the address bar of your Internet browser and press the Enter key.
- On the page that appears, select the network, wireless and Ipv4 tabs. Now define a single IP address for the DHCP range if you know it. The number cannot be greater than 254. If you do not know the DHCP range, choose a high IP address such as 250.
- Use the subnet address 255.255.255.0, unless it is different.
- Enter the gateway address and the first DNS field of your router’s IP address. Then click on “Apply”.
- Then turn off the wireless router and the printer.
- Restart the modem first, then the printer.
Windows 10 Printer Offline – How To Fix it Using Device Manager?
Another problem that could result in print orders not being carried out is that the device is listed several times in the list of devices on the computer, which means that the computer cannot determine which printer should be used. If the printer is also displayed offline, please follow the steps below to be able to use it again.
- Go to “Devices and Printers” and delete the printer.
- Then restart the computer.
- Stop all the printing functions of the printer. This is possible via the printer button or the start bar.
- Enter “printui.exe/s/t2” in the search bar of the Start menu and start the search. Start this feature and completely remove the driver suite from the printer.
- You should then be able to manually delete all of the objects to be printed in the Device Manager.
- The computer should be restarted at the end of this procedure.
- Then install the printer manually and check if it now appears online and if you find it several times in the device manager.
If the printer continues to stay in offline mode, then you should consult experts for fast and effective solutions.